Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: Probably closer to 86.25º

david weaver
I don't know if I typed it already, but I've taught a few people at work to sharpen knives. I pointed them to a combination india stone, and they are happy.

Though it's not stylish, my ideal sharpening setup for a beginner would be an india stone, a washita stone (or some other medium fine arkansas stone that could cut fast enough to ensure they could actually use it) and a piece of plain leather.

None of this stuff about microns would ever come up. We'd never get out of the first class if it did.

One of the local class instructors here asked if I'd be interested in getting the materials together to coordinate teaching his students to make a wooden plane. He saw my double iron planes (I sold him my old bench) and said he has about a half dozen students who are potentially interested in working entirely by hand.

I thought about it for a second and told him I didn't think I was cut out to teach. I'm cut out to experiment and make things for myself. I can teach someone else who wants to do the same thing or try to learn how to be curious and solve problems that maybe they wanted to avoid at first glance (basically my role at work with one or two people at a time). People who will take information and run with it without any curiosity, that's not for me. It's all or none. Teaching people at work to sharpen knives with an india stone is a sort of none thing. I think it works well. It looks like "all" to them just to learn to sharpen something, and it makes a perfectly functional knife or scissors ("you can sharpen scissors!!??. They work so well now!!").

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081