Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: One problem with that...

david weaver
Your definition of chipped and mine are far apart in particle size then. The trouble is, it's not just catastrophic chipping (that splits a shaving) that reduces edge life significantly, but very small chipping at an edge.

Brian has found the same thing that I have, and so has Steve Elliot. Steve has produced it in controlled testing, specifically pinpointing the angle where it ceases to occur.

As far as the lower center of effort discussion, it has never been a smaller amount of work or soreness for me physically with the BU planes. Discussing angles is good for diagrams, but I would leave anyone using BU planes in the dust for several reasons, and i'm not exactly a physical specimen. I tried that route, actually for a fairly long period and then off and on until I finally had no use for the planes. There was instantly clarity on why a lot of the older tools are the way they are once my shop session started to consist of 90% of the volume of work being done with hand tools and 10% with power tools vs. the other way around. Bu plane always ended up being more work and more soreness in actual use, and less apt and capable when it comes to the user manipulating them to adjust something (like biasing the vertical component in a plane). If the BU planes were less effort, I'd still be using them. I am exceptionally lazy once my curiosity is satisfied.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081