Hand Tools

Subject:
One problem with that...
Response To:
Re: Query ()

david weaver
..I'm sure there is some case for a lower angle easing some of the wear in shooting if clearance allows.

However, bill has been troubling me over email (i don't mind) by stating there can be quality issues with irons at lower values because steve found them especially with A2 in long grain.

A2 cannot operate ideally in long grain at 30 degrees, so there is no reason to believe it would tolerate end grain well at all at 30 degrees.

In the case in my test, I'm not dealing with that, the planes cut well with the charlesworth sharpening method, and everything is locked down tight in a high quality plane with the cap iron set relatively close (which is near where it would be in daily use - I don't adjust a plane when I'm planing the end of a sawn panel to the mark, whatever it was set at for smoothing, it stays set at that).

What I didn't mention to bill (because this exchange went while I was having a pity party for myself over how much work it was to do the end grain test due to the actual duration) is that I leave an edge at 33 degrees by experience when freehand sharpening. I have one set that I do, so the idea of accommodating a couple of alloys and then having a bunch of other setups for steels that will tolerate something else - it's not an overall improvement for me. Bill is looking for something different in this test - he wants a blueprint for picking one iron and one process and finding the iron and the angle and the process that makes that one single setup last the longest in feet planed. I get it, but it's beyond the scope of what I"m looking at where I'd suggest most people use one setup, one set of sharpening gear and sharpen everything the same with few exceptions (my chisels are finished at a lower angle most of the time, and the shooting plane blade is sharpened close to its primary bevel because the bed is 40 degrees. I sharpen it little enough that I don't find it annoying. It's also got such a wide primary bevel that sharpening it on the bevel is something that a grandmother could walk into my shop and do without any prior experience (i still bias the final finish up slightly due to knowing that finish quality is paramount).

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081