Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: V11 vs. O1 end grain - different results

david weaver
The smoothcut is the same rikizai iron as the tsunesaburo (presumably it's just made by tsunesaburo).

In my duration tests on long train, it lasted the same as my house O1 iron. It was harder and failure was slightly different, but I would expect my O1 iron would last as long as it does in anything.

Note the shavings in the box that I showed a picture of. None of them show defects. cherry is probably an ideal wood to do this with, as would be poplar - it doesn't have the lack of density and voids that radiata pine would have once minor dullness has started. It has convinction in its straws where they are tight against each other without being harsh or stringy.

But this is *very much* a real world test, at least as much so as shooting, as most people who are shooting anything other than very small pieces should actually be planing them in the vise instead. I have planed far more wood volume in the manner of this test than I ever have with a shooting plane. It's faster, it doesn't rely on a board being accurate over 6 inches, and it doesn't require me to use a different plane. I'm not surprised to find that warren and brian have both said (unless i'm misquoting one of them) that they also do it.

I'm not aiming the results of the endgrain test at a point and shoot or gadget user, I'm aiming them at someone who will be willing to do the planing. I suspect most people have a relationship with a skew plane that Bill mentions - they dread using the plane because they despise sharpening it. That's a shame, because freehand maintenance of a skew plane is just as easy as it is with a straight bladed plane. If that is ever a hindrance, those folks should think about switching to what i'm doing.

This is also probably one of those cases where you've maybe noted that I write off your experience with jarrah as being irrelevant for people comparing tools over here, especially if they're going to do a lot of hand work. Purpleheart destroyed every blade I used on it. If I could find something slightly less violent and then accelerate the test with it, and aim the results at someone who is actually going to be planing the ends of cherry panels, it risks being completely irrelevant. I've put far too much effort into care with the variables in this test to leave questions like that to ponder.

My results may not be useful to someone working 1800 hardness wood in Australia, and folks who can't duplicate the results because they're changing variables or don't work the same way will have to consider what the difference is if they care. If they do what I did, they will find two things:
* they'll actually enjoy end grain planing, and not from the gadget novelty of a shooting board plane with a fence or any other such things
* they'll probably get the results that I got with this test and not feel the need to assert that it's not practical

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081