Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: Query
Response To:
Query ()

david weaver
Low impact. I'd refer to it as a bump start, which is setting the plane at the start of the cut, and giving it a little bit of a push to get through the entry into the cut.

What you're describing is why I would guess (and will not duplicate, it would require constantly sawing the end off of this board, and I would not have enough length) that the interrupted saw cut end may damage the edge sooner. Especially on a harder wood where that interrupted cut has more chance for damage.

I also would expect hammering the edge into the cut (which may seem tempting as a way to reduce effort, but I would guess is actually far more due to fighting to stay in the cut controlled) would lead to some visible damage that would show up on the board ends, and thus cause the shavings not to remain as pretty as they are in the picture in one of the other posts in this thread.

The result from both irons here is pretty spectacular, and it is not manipulated by me aside from having good technique.

It may put people off, but I am seeing in daily use from experience some of the benefits that warren describes as subtlety. I doubt many on here can keep an edge as well as I do, or do the same volume of work with the same level of effort due to refinement in technique. at the same time, Brian can probably do better than me by a lot and warren much better, because these are things you will naturally learn to do in getting results and making life easier on you as the user both in downtime sharpening or (avoiding) repairing blade damage from disuse, and in getting results that do not vary (like avoiding seeing lines on the ends of boards from edge defects that may cause shavings to split, etc).

The reason I doubt there are few here who would match this is because you never really start to appreciate it until you're using a plane for everything. In the description of surface gazer vs. shaving lifter, the shaving lifter type of user never gets the continuous use where they would start to do these things and appreciate the difference in the quality of engagement they would have with the tools and using them.

It reminds me of my grandfather with his equipment farming. He repaired his own equipment, worked almost all day every day, and knew everything about how it worked, how to get the most work done in a day, and how to do so without abusing it. It took more than a couple of endrow turns or days as a steering wheel holder for another owner for him to learn that.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081