Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: Comment
Response To:
Re: Comment ()

david weaver
No, it's not an extra variable. It is a different variable.

Fences on shooting planes are less precise than you think. they do not have the ability to do anything other than retain the plane, as a lighter set in cut will remove any pressure the plane has on the cut.

There is no more downpressure in this test than there is in the long grain test. The weight of the plane, and the weight of your arms. Not the weight of your body on top of that.

none of these shavings except for the last 100 feet or so showed lack of interest in entering the cut. You cannot generate the same quality of force with a shooting plane. They are good at what they do, but they cannot get nearly as much out of a sharpening cycle as just using a bench plane with wood in a vise. The pain from this test isn't bearing down on the plane, it is the lateral pressure needed to actually cut end grain. This in itself may generate more downforce on the plane since the handle is oriented in such a way that if you generate one, you generate another.

But, the result of picking up a shaving after the end of this on long grain (3 or 3 1/2 thousandths) shows that the iron is more dull, but it is not by any means drastically different in condition than post long-grain test.

I learned also, a while ago, that a #4 smoother is better at this than a bevel up LV jack. No damage to the iron occurs, you can plane like you would plane long grain, and the lack of perfection on the sole of the plane (along with less surface area) makes avoiding sticky skippy planes on end grain easier. This is one of the reasons that my shooting board rarely needs sharpening. It's only needed for small sticking.

I *guess* I will give shootenstein a fresh edge tonight and see what kind of footage I can get out of it without having to bear inward on the plane. The effort is two-fold, by the way. The need on a larger piece of wood to push the wood in toward the plane is not insignificant. We don't generally notice how much effort this actually is because we've never standing in-situ doing this for long. Board in bench eliminates this and is far less effort supposing the wood is large enough to allow planing to a mark or knife line. This is also how I trim drawer sides (not in the shooting board). Knife mark, plane to the mark.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081