Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: Comment
Response To:
Re: Comment ()

Derek Cohen (in Perth, Australia)
Yes on the board being in a vise. There is a great deal of advantage to planing end grain like this rather than in a shoot board - the plane does the work in terms of giving itself weight into the cut with your arms, and you don't have to bear down on it. On a shoot board, if everything isn't ideal, you *do* have to force the plane unless you have it in a track, and even when you have it in a track, it can't really get the same downforce that you get with long grain.

David, I disagree with this. The only reason you would need to "bear down" on a shooting board is if you are not using a decent board design. The issue is easily overcome by adding a side fence to the runway, which will guide the plane. That is, keep it tracking forwards.

The Stanley #51 offers a track, which is really a side fence ...

I began including this on the ramped boards I made years ago ...

It is essential to use this side fence with this style of plane, but it is an advantage for all shooting planes ...

The disadvantage of testing end grain as you have done is that you add an extra variable into the mix, where as the shooting board removes it.

Regards from Perth

Derek

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081