Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: Comment
Response To:
Comment ()

david weaver
Yeah, you tricked me with that one. I thought I would do this test quickly, get some serious edge damage, take some "cool" pictures and do a couple more abrasive/angle tests last night.

It takes me an hour to do two edge tests with sharpening and pictures - on long grain. It took several hours with this, and I started with the V11 taking a picture every 73 feet (100 shavings). I contemplated 50 shavings at first.

With O1, I took them only every 200 shavings, but the cut resistance is much greater than long grain, so 200 shavings leads to fatigue.

Yes on the board being in a vise. There is a great deal of advantage to planing end grain like this rather than in a shoot board - the plane does the work in terms of giving itself weight into the cut with your arms, and you don't have to bear down on it. On a shoot board, if everything isn't ideal, you *do* have to force the plane unless you have it in a track, and even when you have it in a track, it can't really get the same downforce that you get with long grain.

If anyone would like to perform this test on a wide piece of cherry, I'd like to hear their results.

I figured last night that there may be some folks who may want to accuse me of doctoring results, but after the amount of work it took to plane and make pictures, I am not interested in anyone questioning the legitimacy unless they are willing to do the identical experiment. It would be easy to live stream an hour session of end grain planing to duplicate the results, but nobody would appreciate the confirmation to a level that would match the effort in doing it.

It would just be "oh, OK, your'e right - it's right there on video.

One more important point with this. I have never planed the ends of panels with a stanley plane that was sharp and had to sharpen it right away instead of continuing to plane long grain. I think that if someone is doing this type of work and they feel the need for a trick plane or feel the need to go sharpen after any endgrain work, then something is wrong *unless* the wood is really difficult. As i mentioned via email, after making shootenstein, I tried to use the purpleheart offcut from the wedge to test edge life. It immediately destroyed every iron that saw it within fewer than a dozen strokes.

you can see by the quality of the shavings in the box that this was a very relaxed test for an iron, none are separated, even once the plane became too dull to stay in the cut. Throughout the entire test, no edge flaws were observable on the board. The end finish of the board gradually got more rough (which caused the end to appear lighter in color), but it never got to a condition that wouldn't be appropriate for a show surface until the plane began to skip. O1 never skipped, but it did become too hard to push practically (leading to tester abuse rather than complete failure to function).

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081