Hand Tools

Subject:
a couple of thoughts

david weaver
If I was snipping the ends off of short sticks, I don't think I'd get this.

However, I do use my shooting plane from time to time, and the sharpening frequency is less than once a month. I'm sure it planes several hundred feet of short stick ends before I sharpen it, but they also start as sawn (usually).

There is another variable here. In the shooter, I have to apply pressure from both sides of the plane. It would not be possible to get the number of feet that I got with a shooter - I have a plane that is used in long grain orientation more or less on an end grain board. There is down pressure from the handle angle and the weight of the plane and my arms to go with it.

None of this results in me banging the plane into the cut and I do not drag the plane backwards (the end grain board put an extreme shine on the bottom of the bronze Lv, right down the middle. It was already shiny, but end grain must work as a burnisher, just as the french named tool that I'm sure autocorrect would change if I typed it.

Shavings 3 to 4 thousandths of an inch, and ease the plane onto the cut with a very slightly skew (very slight, the point of the test is still to keep the cut occurring on the same part of the iron. Too much skew and that's not possible).

I am very surprised by the result.

I would be willing to bet I have the heaviest and largest skew shooting iron of anyone on here, but I still look forward to sharpening it (obviously, that wasn't used on this test). It takes a tiny bit longer than a stanley iron freehand because I usually can't remember how I got the wedge out of the plane without damaging the finial. Over the course of use, it gets seated tight (the wedge is purpleheart, just like the infill).

If I ran this test again, I would get the same results with all of these variables. Once again, PM V11 was subjectively easier to use, and O1 has more resistance at the outset. But it didn't give up.

Long grain must have some spring that makes it easier for it to give way when planing it and prevent the plane from entering.

If you get much better results with a 35 degree final microbevel, you will be forced to admit its superiority!!!! :b

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081