Hand Tools

Subject:
For those experiencing significant maintenace
Response To:
Re: Well I missed it ()

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.
Derek, you have stated several times that you had to grind at 46 or some coarse grit to avoid burning. This fact puts your grinding in another universe from mine. I can now grind at 3600 rpm with my 120 grit wheel, even on a thin Stanley blade. I am unsure the variable(s) that is different. Probably wheel hardness. Maybe crown? Tool pressure? Technique? Hard wheels need frequent resurfacing and are prone to burn.

If your wheel maintenance was even worthy of mention you again are in a different universe. If someone is having noteworthy maintenance they aren't doing something optimally.

I lightly touch the 120 grit wheel with a diamond dresser rarely. Grit shed typically keeps the wheel cutting. At worse I see a hint of black accumulating on the top of the wheel crown. I expect I would grind for a year or more before a grind angle would change a degree. In any case it is unimportant. Before I turn the machine on I spin the wheel by hand to see that the scratches are in the center of the tool bevel. Adjustment is a whack on the tool rest with the plane or chisel blade, if necessary.

We don't know that your CBN wheel will last longer than my pink one. I'm doubtful it will. The one advantage of a CBN wheel that could be of significance is grit shed. My wheel sheds and needs to be located where loose grits flying about are not a problem. If I could not locate my grinder remote from where wood is worked I would be attracted to the CBN wheel.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081