Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: Incremental step
Response To:
Incremental step ()

david weaver
I'll be interested in what you think about it. I had a tormek and got so frustrated with it after breaking a wheel that rusted the shaft that I took the whole thing and put it in a box and sent it to George Wilson. He said he'd like to try one, and I wanted to stop trying one, so that worked out well, and it was easier than trying to sell something heavy.

At any rate, I wouldn't be afraid of the $250 grinder you linked from LV. I haven't looked at grinders in a while, and just use the cast guard 6" version from baldor with cast iron rests (as phil said, sometimes the aluminum rests collect bits of metal or abrasive and then become less slick, something you can correct but shouldn't have to).

What I found with slow speed grinders is that there's a bunch for about $100-$150, but they're all 2-3 amps, vs the 5 amp regular speed versions. The reason for that is unwillingness to spend more money on copper for the slow speed version, I'm guessing. The one that LV is selling is low speed and somewhere around 5 amps. You don't need the extra amperage, but it's nice.

If you tire of using the wheel on the tormek, I'd chance the grinder LV sells (it's probably good) and leave one conventional wheel on it on the side you use less and put a CBN wheel on the other side. CBN is great, but I like having a conventional wheel to grind tools if you're making something that's not hardened - non-ferrous metals and unhardened steel are probably hard on CBN due to the grip they have on the abrasive on the wheel (I've seen recommendations to not use them).

The one benefit of the tormek that I can think of is that the wheel won't spin as fast, so the there probably won't be any significant airborne dust. The tormek set up properly is accurate, too. Derek's pimped out setup is probably the best of both worlds, especially if you can do something to capture most of the dust, as my solution (having the grinder in a spot where dust doesn't matter), maybe wouldn't suit everyone.

If I was buying again, I don't know if I'd spend the money on the baldor. It's superb, but the $38 grinder that I had before would probably still be working fine (if less smoothly, it wasn't vibration free for sure) and my tools would be just as sharp. I'd sit around and wait to find a deal on something like the grinder that LV is selling. it's not often that I've heard someone talk about anything on a grinder wearing out other than the wheels or having trouble with switches - even the foreign ones.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081