Hand Tools

Subject:
Tool rest for CBN after a Tormek

Derek Cohen (in Perth, Australia)
Wiley, since you are familiar with and use the Tormek, add the BGM-100 kit to the 8” grinder you purchase. Basically you end up with a Tormek which is faster cutting and less messy.

You must be familiar with my review of CBN wheels I wrote a few years back. I have posted it many times. The relevance of doing so again is two-fold:

Firstly, there are wheels that benefit turners and thise that benefit flat woodworkers. The wheels for the latter are those without any corner radius.

Secondly, the use of a BNM-100 creates a straight and smooth grind, ala Tormek. You can really pick up the difference between an 80- and 180 grit wheel. Go for the 180 grit. I grind to the edge of the blade, and the 180 is often smooth enough to skip a 1000 stone for the first couple of honings (I hone frequently, so the wear bevel is minimised).

Link: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/WoodworkTechniques/UltimateGrindingSharpeningSetUp.html

For reference, my grinder is an 8” half speed. Speed is still important as you can burn steel with CBN. Friction creates heat. The steel wheels are a big heat sink, and help. A light touch helps as well.

Regards from Perth

Derek

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081