Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: Recommendations for grinder/wheel

david weaver
Any reasonable quality 8" grinder with a two piece rest.

CBN wheel, anything from 80-220 grit is perfect. You'll much appreciate the speed gain over the tormek and the lack of ever having to do anything to the wheel.

Something like 60% of the grinding heat is absorbed by the wheel, which doesn't glaze, and the overall effect is that grinding feels like about a quarter of the heat of a dressed al-ox wheel (the latter works well except it starts to glaze mid grind on difficult steel like 3V).

I got my wheel from woodturner's wonders several years ago for about $125. I think $150 is probably typical (mine was a sale item at the time). I use 80 grit and like it. It will break in some, but then continue cutting once it does.

Lots of intermediate quality 8" grinders for $150-$250 (dayton, palmgren). Anything made in taiwan instead of china is probably a good step toward the quality of a baldor grinder. I'd stay away from variable speed control grinders and buy single speed. The jet slow wheel grinders with variable speed probably would've lasted a lot better if they didn't put the goofy speed control in them to try to one-up tormek.

One other benefit to CBN - you get dust off of the wheel, metal only. There's no abrasive dust flying around. I don't do anything to capture mine, but instead house it in a corner near my drill press. All of the black settles there, and I've never had any issue with it moving it self the 6 feet or so to the end of my bench.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081