Hand Tools

Subject:
Other tests?

david weaver
I have limited wood to work with here in terms of the heart on this board, but look to have enough for a couple of other tests.

I was thinking (knowing that washita is probably going to fare between 5 micron diamond and black arkansas), that a cheating method might be useful.

Bill has expressed interest in simplification, and in my mind, one bevel above the grind and back work is a nice simplification. Obviously, the black stone works well, but it's a bit slow for the bevel without constant grinding. Slurrying it would yield less edge duration, though that would work.

The cheating method that I can think of is this:
* work the bevel off of the grinder on the washita
* finish the back with the 1 micron cast plate

that would be super quick because it's easy to freehand with a microbevel when you have only one. That's what is so attractive about the washita - the time saved sharpening that would lead to probably a 600 foot result in this test is worth it, and the speed of the stone leads to a greater chance of completing sharpening, but it's not so fast that it wastes iron. An example of a situation where I think the numbers just provided as feet don't really lead to more productivity.

I will try that if there's enough wood left. We're getting close to the end of testing - i'm getting tired of it, but I wouldn't mind taking a process improvement away from this.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081