Hand Tools

Subject:
I'll be testing endgrain soon
Response To:
Re: That's true... ()

david weaver
That'll give us an idea of toughness comes more into play. If it does, then you should just get a harder tough iron.

I am guessing (though I have no proof yet) that the gap will narrow some on end grain.

Stanley plane irons last well in long grain, but rubber to road, they're probably in my tests somewhere about 40% as long wearing as the V11. Of course, that's solvable with good sharpening technique without any issue.

The ad copy drove me bonkers, too, and is one of the reasons that I ran the test. So far, I've bought an iron and a stick of XHP that I didn't need, total of about $200.

End grain speeds the wear on something like a stanley plane, but I can't say I've ever really minded it. In panel ends trimmed, etc, after sawing, or trimmed to the mark, it's still several ends before needing to stop to resharpen for 2 minutes and then back to it.

I am fighting two problems that would keep me from just flopping V11 in the test bed used for most of my numbers.
1) I've made my own irons, and I like them
2) the Lie Nielsen plane is great for a testing bed. it's heavy and stable. But the bronze is monstrously sticky and needs to be waxed constantly, and the problem is multiplied by the fact that it's machined so perfectly. In my experience with prior planes, this is amplified on end grain. Something with a little sloppiness or uneven wear tends to be much less onerous to use on end grain

Back to the ad copy, though. it drove me bonkers. I want to see actual numbers, but I realize why that may not be a great idea to post - it can make you a target to post actual data, both from armchair critics as well as potentially legally, and it gives other competitors something to grab on to and claim against.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081