Hand Tools

Subject:
If the schedule allows today..
Response To:
Abrasives and angles ()

David Weaver
..doing some review work for the daytime gig today, but if I get done early enough this evening, I'm going to run this test again with LN and my house O1.

I know bill prefers named irons, but I have hock and mine. Mine fits in the LN, which is the best test bed for all results, and now I have a baseline with the ward.

So, I will use my iron. I think it's reliable.

I'll test a little bit more for bill's concern about 30 degrees vs. 35, though Steve Elliot has already documented that somewhere in between the two on an infill bed seems to provide the best results for most steels in terms of longevity vs. quality. If quality gets bad enough, it threatens longevity.

It is unlikely that I will do these tests with a more long wearing steel before writing up all of these experiments, but I will take more pictures in this second iteration. I don't expect they'll show much, but will see if I can be proven wrong. I think what happens on the coarser abrasives is the initial edge fails at the groove depth and it leaves a more rounded blunt edge. I had hoped that once this was blasted off, I'd find the edge similar to finer abrasives (looking for a cheap easy way to get sharpening with one grind and one bevel - this is ideal for freehand). I'm not finding that, and this probably threatens my beloved washita for finishing stones!!

(I can do a freehand iteration with washita, too, so that I can be embarrassed).

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081