Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: reduce time scale 100X

david weaver
Bill and I had talked about this a little bit, but I don't know anything about chemistry, so it was more simplistic from my view point. And one of the reasons I talked about heat.

What I know from past experience is that if you live rural in the united states, you may still burn your trash. We did that when I was a kid - paper items and anything not noxious, we burned. Plastics and metals, we recycled. Every couple of years, we'd get a burn barrel. They rusted right away, and I never understood why (but I do, now, even though I don't understand exactly what's going on, I know the fire is causing the metal to oxidize).

I met my father in law about 16 years ago. He had just bought a stainless steel cylinder to burn his trash in, and he's been using the same one now (he moved houses, his son is living in his old house burning his trash in the same cylinder).

The point I'm getting to is whether or not there is enough heat at the edge of the iron, even if it's an atom or two thick and and 5 atom deep in iron length where the surface gets hot enough for this oxidation to occur, and it continuously leaves the iron in the middle of a cut.

The addition of tannins may accelerate that or not, i don't know. I'm less concerned with that. Well, I'm not concerned with much of it at all - I'm satisfied to see the results and know that I could repeat them, the why is less of an issue to me because focusing too much on the why can lead people like me to suppose things rather than observe them, and supposing on partial understanding is how old wives tales are created.

How would someone test my theory? (not that they need to). I guess have an extremely slow planing machine and just let it go for days and see if much slower planing speed creates a different result. I'm assuming that the steel used in V11 is stainless because it doesn't rust. I have a halfway underground shop that lets me observe the difference between relative humidity and absolute, and things will rust in it in the summer, no matter what. I've never had any rust on a V11 iron, even when the cap iron attached rusts (they always rust at a higher rate than the underlying iron, anyway, if they're uncoated - I guess soft steel rusts faster than hardened steel?). to this point, I don't think we've had a good stainless iron that we've been able to observe because nothing has gotten hard enough to make a good plane iron. The recommended upper range for 440C is 3 or 4 points short of where V11 is specified, and it needs to be cryo treated to work well at that, or be PM. Same with CPM 154 - it goes a little higher than 440C, but not into the range where V11 is.

There's a gaggle of high vanadium stainless steels, but I can tell from the stones that this isn't high vanadium, and those steels have a terrible reputation for holding their initial edge and wearing with a fine edge. So, it is more or less the first time I've seen a steel of this type that's stainless (and from the stones, high chromium, as chromium doesn't stymie natural stones too badly - this iron wears two or three times as fast on the suita vs. what the 3V does, and the 3V is probably softer on the C scale), that's not full of hard sharpening or big particle vanadium (the latter doesn't need to be the case with PM), and that gets hard enough to work in the same range as harder O1 and A2.

It sort of makes me want to go track down the 3rd generation PM steels that *are* higher vanadium and see if they will go further yet, but the reality is, they're expensive and I can't harden them in my shop, so I'm not going to do it. They will also likely make irons that pretty much only sharpen well on diamond, and LV and others can't market irons like that - they'd just get returned.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081