Hand Tools

Subject:
I don't know...
Response To:
Re: I doubt that.. ()

david weaver
...if the average person buying a custom plane would use the cap iron, but the plane with a normal frog and a cap iron is 4 times the plane with a different frog and without the cap iron. I'm glad they changed their mind on that one.

As far as the other tests. I never believed you falsified tests - I am obsessed with how things work and bias, etc, what skews results intentionally or unintentionally. It makes no sense to me that at professionally accomplished psychologist would skew results for *the profit* of getting tools to test that he may not even have a use for.

It's an obligation to test tools for someone. At least that's what it seems like to me. I have tested a few tools and stones from various places, but haven't accepted anything since a custom plane from LV. That ultimately sat on my shelf, got a couple of dots of rust and I sold it and gave the money away. There was nothing wrong with the plane, but it sat with others that someone else would probably love to use, too - I have what i use.

It's just not that much of an incentive.

The real issue is the wood. If someone tested sorby's chisels in white pine and low density mahogany, they would love them. Maple or even beech and they need extra help in final angle to hold up. What I like is probably somewhere in the middle, and is wonderful to use, but if you tested it on jarrah or especially used it every day in it, you'd be aggravated. I'm curious as to how stuff works in the wood we have over here, and whether or not the relative differences hold up. Accelerated testing and difficult woods are sometimes necessary to be able to get a certain amount of study work done without drawing it out like my test has drawn out, but it leaves me with a nagging question.

Charlie mentioned Chris Becksvoort doing a test with teak. It's a worthless test in my opinion. Teak has varying amounts of silica in it, and if it's significant and creates accelerated wear, there's no guarantee that the results will be proportional to walnut, cherry, mahogany, soft maple, etc.....I get the desire to accelerate the test for those folks, especially if they're getting paid to write an article and just want to slog through it, but it's not useful information to anyone except teak planers.

In your case, you just have natural accelerated wear woods all around. We do in some cases, but most of what's here domestically that has silica in it has other use (locust for fences, etc) and fortunately we're blessed with a lot of easy working woods that grow all around us.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081