Hand Tools

Subject:
WOW what a data set
Response To:
Re: Test 5 results ()

E Phillip Smith
Great work.

Last time I did any serious planning with the M4 iron I was around 2300 to 2500 lineal feet in cherry and yellow pine. That experience is in line the data that you have. It's great news that the V11 is so good. It's a lot easier to buy a good iron than to make them.

Now would be a good time to have an SEM of the surface. I suspect that what you are seeing is very different wear mechanism between M4 and V11. The M4 has a LOT of very small but very hard carbide particles that I suspect the wood does not wear or polish very well. I suspect the wood is wearing away the iron background and exposing the carbides, hence the surface at the micro scale will look rough and may have higher friction due to micro roughness.

The V11 does not have the very hard, Vanadium, Tungsten, or Molybdenum carbides but should have a ton of very small chromium carbides based on it's hardness. So the question is are the chromium carbides enough softer that they will wear (POLISH) with the wood. If so it will feel slicker in the wood.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081