Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: Test 5 results
Response To:
Re: Test 5 results ()

David Weaver
Upward sloping means they're cutting with the grain? The feel of this wood (Whcih came in the same load from the same lumberman) is very different from the first piece of beech. That one felt more dry and was a little more dusty. This one has none of that, it's just more compliant, but the quality of the piece of wood isn't quite as good (the heart/sap divide isn't as stark, and it's not properly sawn quartered with pith centered. It would look quartered on the ends if that's all you saw, but that's it).

I should probably elaborate on one plane giving up vs. another. Early in the test, the planes operate like a well-set plow. A well set plow for the uninitiated will be dropped at the end of a row, it'll go right into the cut and will stay there. If it's marginally set, you can faff with it but it doesn't stay in the cut as well, and if it's not set properly at all (ignoring going too deep), it'll fight its way back out of a cut.

Once you're somewhere around 1200 feet in a test like this, you have to be more careful about staying directly behind the plane and not influencing it left or right, and it gradually gets worse until the plane somewhere around a couple of hundred feet before the distances shown bounces in and out of a cut and you have to be very deliberate (but it will still stay in). The test is over when the plane won't stay in no matter how careful you are, unless you add down pressure. So it's gradually getting worse the whole test, but what you perceive is the point where it flips over the line. 3V seems to be more simple at figuring that out whereas 3V and M4 hang around that line longer. It's not just proportional to total wear length. What is it that causes that right when you get to that point? I don't know. It's not a bad characteristic either way.

In the case of this test, I had different planes, so it's hard to say anything for certain, but I thought the 3V was going to last with the V11 until about 100 feet before it stopped. It must wear in a different shape.

First 500 feet or so with these planes, you point them toward wood and they drop into the cut and stay there, even if you're a little careless, but that goes away.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081