Hand Tools

Subject:
Will you elaborate
Response To:
Re: Test 5 results ()

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.
"Reason for asking: I have a bias to the effect that no steel has a 1/3 to 1/2 mile of quality strokes in it, though it may be held in the cut for that long."

Caution: David's end point could be shortened significantly if the grain is laying in a favorable slope. K&K translation Figure11

I'm trying to get a picture of what people on this Forum do with a plane to get an idea of what demands are made of it and what the result is.

What exactly about planing as you do it, for what end result, would cause you to sharpen before David's end point, or believe you couldn't get 1000' from an O-1 edge? In practical terms if you were surfacing a 3 x 2' table would you expect to have to sharpen before completing the task, or whatever quantitative description comes to mind? What is your end point- looks, feel, fatigue? (I'm stabbing at questions because I don't know what to ask to learn what demands of the blade/plane are being judged)

Some "Supersurfacer" results were measured in km, presumably with results acceptable to whatever purpose this lumber goes to. The species often was Douglas Fir so I suppose house beams but I have no clue what quality surface house beams are planed to.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081