Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: The other important part of this...

Warren in Lancaster, PA

I once heard DC and Rob Cosman referring to irons they'd seen in their classes being improperly sharpened all but 2 or 4 times in their career

After reading this I watched Rob Cosman sharpen a plane iron on U Tube. He raised the iron up off the bevel to sharpen on a 1000 diamond stone. Then he raised it even more and sharpened on a 16000 Shapton. It was over 40 degrees plus the ruler trick. Pitiful.

There are some difficulties in planing hard maple, Acer saccharum. One is that some boards are very abusive to the edge. I guess that if you have a board that is reasonable to plane and use it for all tests, that is alright.

The other problem is that if the iron gets too dull it can act like it has lost its temper, like it generated heat from rubbing. Sometimes you have to sharpen quite a bit off to get to good steel again. Even harder woods don't seem to have this problem. We hardly ever see case pieces made of hard maple in 18th century work, even though it was available and used for table and chair legs. More often Soft Maple.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081