Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: To a screeching halt for now..
Response To:
After 50 shavings.... ()

david weaver
So, there are surface quality issues after 50 shavings with the V11, but being completely clear about it, I cannot be absolutely certain they're caused by wood, which means I need to refine my process, by (i've done these things already):

* scraping the surface of my paraffin wax bar (never know if it's taken on some particles or dirt as they do get dirty on the outside)
* checking the entire center of the iron with the microscope, as these defects are really small, a thousandth or two for the largest and probably a thousandth or less for others. I was hoping to avoid this because the scope field view is small and it takes a while to scroll across an inch of iron edge, but I think it's necessary.
* checking the surface of a board after the first pass. It should be shiny with no defect in the first foot or two

I suspect the v11 iron will do better than it has, and have given it two tries so far, but realize that I really need to view the entire iron to confirm that there aren't defects in it.

The relatively high level of sharpness also makes it even harder to hide any defects because of the surface brightness. I have always thought there is some argument for using a slightly less sharp medium with good uniformity (like an oilstone) to avoid seeing the smallest of defects. The overall brightness of a piece isn't much different, but I've been down this road before with japanese planes years ago - the higher the degree of sharpening, the more wet a surface looks right off of a plane and it can be torture as the slightest issue with anything at all creates visible lines on a piece.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081