Hand Tools

Subject:
Grass hook - seymour...
Response To:
OT: Hand tool lawn care ()

david weaver
..unlike a lot of the other cheapened tools, the little grass hook on something like a 4 foot handle is just a small austrian scythe blade.

I use a reel mower until fall (mulch leaves with a rotary mower), and fairly rarely use the grass hook, but anything that involves sitting on the ground is out for me, too. I'm not a senseless self punisher.

I use a string trimmer for most normal trimming work, but I use the grass hook to pull wild hairs off of bushes or trim certain things (a light hand on a grass hook will cut off weeds without cutting the grass to the ground). Just trimmed some unwanted growth off of three bushes with one last night - the handle allows you to reach pretty high without getting out bigger equipment (like a pole trimmer).

Mine came needing peining and honing, though.

Several styles of tools sold as grass hooks - you'll find one that matches my description (4 feet or so of handle and a scythe type blade rather than a hook. There are $20 versions around, but I have my doubts about whether or not the blades would be any good for that cheap. Scythe making in austria is sort of a thing, so they're reliable for making blades that will pein but not be too soft).

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081