Hand Tools

Subject:
A couple more scope pictures before testing

David Weaver
Commercial Photography

Just getting my routine ironed out for using the microscope and what magnification. I believe this is 150X actual, the second lowest setting on my scope the way it's set up. Up from this are 300x and 600x, and below it is 75 or 100 ,not sure.

Commercial Photography

The length of the edge shown is between .015" and .02" - the wire shown is a steel bristle from a grill brush and it is .007" in diameter, just shown for scale.

The interesting thing is how fine the edge is off of the japanese stone. I don't have many plane iron pictures to compare yet, but once this thing sees tiny diamonds, I believe the picture will change to a shiny surface with no or nearly no tiny grooves all in a row.

Bill has reiterated something I mentioned in a prior post, that there's nothing in this stone that should sharpen the vanadium carbides. What I may not have mentioned clearly enough in other pictures is that the play with the natural stone is just that - play, curiosity to see if I can get a reasonable edge with a natural stone before all of the tested edges see submicron synthetics. It's also important at this point to get the edge reasonably fine before going to them so there aren't any hidden defects from harsh abrasives straight to fine.

This iron has one very bad habit on my setup (I like to raise the initial burr with a fine india. This iron actually pins the fine india, and then the pinning beats up the edge in tiny amounts. This just means subsequent sharpenings will be done only with diamonds to avoid anything of the sort. Kind of a downer as the reason I like the fine india to cut the initial bevel is that mine is settled in well, and it's in an oil bath, which means as it rotates, i never have to do anything to clean it. Anything on it just spills into the bottom of a norton IM 313.

Still, I did not expect edge quality as good as this off of a natural stone given the reputation of this steel.

(I also sharpened the V11 iron on the natural stone - it sharpens at least twice as quickly on it).

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081