Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: whalebacks and bent saws..

TomD
I got mine around 2003, might have still been during ebay's beanie baby phase. I did find one I liked a year or so ago, but since I hardly use the one from '03, I didn't buy it.

I have seen various attempts to home make the FK saw, and the problem is the brake to get a long low angle kink free bend is not easy to find. The samples I have seen showed the concept worked, which is obvious, but they did not seem like something I would want to actually use.

The problem is that, as you know, every dovetail joint, conventionally cut requires one to "crosscut" the equivalent of one end of a meeting board by chopping it with a chisel. If they are not all that efficient they may precede that cut with crosscutting their plank with a fine toothed fret saw. Despite the handtool revolution, I do not see many people paring back their tool kit to not include a crosscut saw, but they are happy to crosscut planks when dovetailing, using a chisel or a fret saw.

None of this is too wearing until you get into making really huge boxes. I made some furniture for my shop that were like large blanket cases, and require maybe 8 feet of dovetail. I just had to find a work around for that kind of grunt work, that did not involve all the messing around. But it isn't a subject for this board.

I can't imagine not having a bandsaw. I have 5, which is crazy also. When i started out, they were probably 1/3rd the price of a car, say 2K in late 70s. Not a car guy, maybe they were already more expensive. I know we bought a Volvo at the factory for 3K in the mid 70s.

Anyway, that was way out of reach. Then the Chinese tools came along, under 400. I keep getting ones people are getting rid of. I am at a transition point where I will need to cut back, so I already have a small inca I can use when I have to get rid of the large one which is a Laguna. They sent the laguna out without their decals for some reason, it has an Italian decal on it. Thanks for making my resale easy!

I did the panel resaw thing in the 80s. It was necessary due to the cost of alternatives. While I like the fact the shop provides exercise, I am no more going back to that than I am walking to and from the lumberyard. But I am tempted to try out some of the new hardware that keeps popping up.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081