Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: Dredging the canal of my memory

david weaver
Yes on the shaving thickness - no stability issues or zzzzzzzziiippp at 2 thousandths.

I have gotten into it only cutting small trim mouldings for the house (meaning, in a hurry). Anything else, as Jim says, there's usually little left for the final plane to do and no real reason to rush a heavy cut.

The curiosity of the zipper sound and whether or not its detrimental for other planes in non show areas (like taking a heavy cut with a moving fillister...), maybe for another topic or not at all. When a bench plane does it, it can be a lot more obnoxious because while it may not be detrimental in a moderate cut (the iron never really comes out of the cut, it never is harder to push and it doesn't really leave any surface issues that aren't removed in subsequent planing), it is extremely loud sometimes.

When I'm fitting a bench plane, it's not uncommon for that zipper sound to be there, sometimes horribly loud, on the first go around - when the fitting is done, there should be none of it. A well-fitted wooden bench plane can stand you still in a heavy cut before it will do that, but I'm not sure it ever goes away in less supported planes in a heavy cut.

Not sure how common sanding mouldings is, if I use poor quality wood and just something for the house (poor for mouldings, not poor for anything else), I'm not afraid to sand and burnish those. Years ago, I made a bookcase out of low quality cherry being sold for a song at rockler, and sanded the mouldings (clear finish), though, without burnishing them after planing/scraping/burnishing the rest of the case and I could see the dullness of the mouldings >( On paint, it won't matter, and maybe sanding is better. It does solve some wood issues in that finding perfect wood is difficult, and just as I will pull pieces or slabs that will yield guitar necks, if I cut mouldings on a regular basis, I would be on constant lookout for pieces that would make nice mouldings and set them aside for it.

(it is so nice to not go looking for router bits or commercial moulding fits/approximations at this point, though)

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081