Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: Yes...

david weaver
..almost without question, the chisels I've bought (recently) end up falling into a narrow range. If I didn't have the luxury of trying so many (if I was one of the die hard "never buy a second set" types), I could live with the sorby chisels. But I'm glad to have gotten more and tried more.

There's one exception to my newly-realized typecast (of the English types). I do like a full hardness japanese chisel, but had been looking for a while for one that was a little less tubby in cross section. The love for the iyoroi set that I have was due to their ability to tolerate heavy mortising (no corners breaking), but I don't do as much of that, and I've found some older chisels that are equally good for it.

I'm otherwise a buyer of opportunity. If I can try something at a price that I know I can sell it for, I'll do that. It just means I'll have to take what comes along at that level rather than getting a jones for a certain maker. The unknown with that is fun, but I think I've settled (on the thinner uknown) chisels with what I like, and they don't sharpen on the washita - too hard - and that's OK. They sharpen well on japanese natural stones.

Until you mentioned that I like the English types, and until I measured chisel cross section earlier this week, I had no idea, though, that I was consistently buying almost identical chisels in proportion. If the wrought iyorois didn't have a thick cross section (something that I don't think you can avoid with wrought iron), I probably would've stuck with them. The thin chisels I found were ....well, purchases of opportunity, too, on a japanese proxy auction. Once makers aren't current, they don't seem to have any value over there, even with decent chisels....there are a few exceptions (ichichiro, shimamura, etc), but not many.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081