Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: Fewer iterations are preferred

Wiley Horne
Jim,

That’s an interesting idea. I thought about whether the whole thing could be cut with one ogee, simply by starting the plane at about 2 o’clock, then progressively working it around counterclockwise to about 9:30. That would produce a profile, but not this one (it might be better!). An ogee that would make the ovolo right would have too long a cove section.

I hadn’t thought the thing very far through until you raised the question. What I am trying to do to make the mold reproducible is to focus on having a positive registration for the first plane, and then use the first plane to create registration for the second. If the registrations are not positive, then you get into a pattern of adjusting your adjustment, and trying to hold your mouth just right, and so forth.

As for paint, the only thing I see necessary is to run 220g sandpaper down that arris at the tail end of the cove. Just a couple of licks. In other words, make sure that arris is deburred.

A bigger challenge will be reproducing this in oak. Pine doesn’t put up much of a fight, but I am worried the initial passes of the ogee may skate a little in oak—that may be a problem to be solved.

But its looking doable. I ordered a 5/16 and 3/8 bead today—one of those two should help. Thanks to Warren for spotting that 1/2 ogee as a possible solution.

And thanks to all for the several good suggestions, any of which could be made to work.

Wiley

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081