Hand Tools

Subject:
wood drying/checking

Jack Guzman from Maine
I use green hard maple for chair legs. I buy it by the log and process it by hand. I cut the log into just longer than the longest blank I will need for chair legs/parts. Then I rive it into roughly 2" blanks. Wider sometimes depending on final dimension needed. Next I turn these blanks into the biggest round I can get out of the blank. The next step is where my question comes in. I like to dry these rounds for a few days in my heated shop to allow some of the water to evaporate. I paint the ends with anchorseal. To make a leg I will cut to finish length after this drying period and turn a leg in the lathe leaving the tenon large. At this point I place the tenoned end in a hole in my kiln for drying. I dry this part completely. I got impatient recently and turned the leg after only one day drying. When I put it in the kiln it began checking . I took it out and air dried it a day and tried again,no checking. Why did this occur?
I have tried putting a round in the kiln to speed up drying and the whole piece checks and splits.
What I need to understand is what is the process that causes checking? What happens to the cells to make the wood crack? How can I accelerate drying without checking?
I should mention. My shop is heated to 60 deg.with a vented propane heater. The heater lowers the humidity in the shop noticeably.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081