Hand Tools

Subject:
Question

John in NM
Did you try some Sunnyside brand? I see it around in some of the rural hardware stores out here, and once saw some raw linseed that one ordered by mistake. A couple years later I realized I should have bought that to play with, after reading Stephen's book on oil & other finishes. They still make stuff like raw linseed and gum spirits, but you have to go through Amazon to get it any more - or talk a hardware store into ordering you a case to try out a can :\

I went and looked on Amazon, and the only negative reviews were from a guy comparing it to herbalist quality stuff (roll eyes) and a guy in California who was using the review to complain about CA regs.

My favorite turp is a can I saved from my Dad's house in Tucson. Its an old can of Standard Brands and smells great - I save that for thinning linseed oil, just to make it fun to use. I also have a dipping bucket of linseed for the little bit of production work I still do - had to get a big can of mineral spirits for that.... maybe I should have ordered a 5 gallon turp from Sunnyside :D damn hindsight, eh?

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081