Hand Tools

Subject:
Washita stone aquisitions & questions... *PIC*

John Aniano in Central NJ
Hello All,

Went to a local flea market on Sunday morning and found this little mahogany box containing a nice Washita stone for under $20. The large label was facing down in the box interior. The person who spent the time to make such a nice box probably really liked the stone it protected.

This now makes 3 Washita stones that I've found this year, and I've pictured them here showing the label sides and the used surface views. The Pike stone is approximately 1-1/8" x 2" x 8-1/2". I've done no cleaning or flattening yet on these stones.

I measured the approximate density of each and found 2.13 g/cm^3 for the mahogany boxed Pike stone, 2.38g/cm^3 for the "WB-7" and 2.15 g/cm^3 for the smaller Norton stone. The WB-7 has been barely used.

My questions, can anyone (David W...) suggest approximate dates of manufacture for these stones? I'm guessing the Pike is the oldest - it has no mention of "Norton" on the labels. Can anyone comment on the relative differences between each stone? Also, when I flatten these, what final grit should I end with? Does it matter?

Now I just have to try them out!

John

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081