Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: One Hand Trains the Brain to Control the Other

david weaver
I'm definitely not gifted!!

I think a lot of it is just the brain's understanding of how the saw is supposed to work in the cut and how it's supposed to look, as well as the subtle things that are important to hand work, like steering a saw, which is bound to be misconstrued by anyone who hasn't done a lot of hand work, and leads to one of the two following conclusions:
* you should never steer a saw, only bad things happen
* steering is a short term thing, you just give the saw a hard twist and go

The subtle thing is the brain seeing that you're getting a little away from the mark and sort of communicating it to your hand so that you make minor adjustments and get back on track without massive thought or stark changes in the path of the saw.

So, it's not that I can do super fine motor type stuff left handed, it's just the realization that my brain can work in conjunction with my left hand far better than it ever would've if I started with that hand 10 years ago.

I wrongly concluded (without trying, which is opposite of what I usually do - that being failing to adhere to routine out of curiosity and continuing to try things when I don't need to) that I'd lack control, lack stamina, etc, with the left hand and there was no reason to try. I certainly don't have the power at this point that I do with my right arm, but that will come.

I also now enjoy even more a task that I really enjoyed a lot before (which is working wood by hand from start to finish. When I use a TS and a planer, which is rare, I really sort of resent the process). Hand working keeps you connected and gets the juices flowing just enough to really peak your brain's effectiveness and focus. Just the same as you get a "bump" in your mood if you do moderate exercise.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081