Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: First batch of varnish

david weaver
Guitar with light coats of epifanes.

Two coats. Lots of ugly stuff on the cherry on this guitar, but it'll all be covered, as will my poor routing. As dumb as it sounds, I don't do a lot with a router, or power tools in general, so I had some trouble with the template and didn't know the bearing wasn't on it.

I also pulled an eighth radius bit out for the top of the guitar, which is correct for a telecaster, but forgot that I had it cutting overdeep on my kitchen cabinet doors. The result is that I had to increase and flatten out the radius on the front of the guitar a lot and that's not really what I wanted.

All that said, the hardware will cover up all of it, so you won't be able to tell.

One rookie mistake on the neck (overcutting the pocket under the truss rod nut since I cut everything else on this other than the pockets by hand. Next time, I'll plow a groove straight through to the peghead and the'll be no need to cut low. I'll have to fill that spot in the back of the neck.).

As well as I can build a plane, I know that the first guitar will be a learning process and there's no need to stall on it, just get through it and see what to avoid next time (I'm building a second one with expensive hardware).

https://s15.postimg.cc/it0rbkw17/20180805_123155.jpg

I wasn't going to put varnish on this junker, but I'm glad I did. I've learned that from now on, I'll be diluting the varnish and applying it with a rag. The two finger method like you'd do with a violin, varnish unthinned, works fine, but it won't make a coat that's particularly even.

Two hours in the sun for epifanes is worth a day inside, it cures quickly outside.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081