Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: Frame saws
Response To:
Re: Frame saws *LINK* ()

david weaver
If they're made well, they don't take longer to learn. If someone goes out and buys a large beech emmerich saw and tries to cut a small tenon with it, or dovetails, then the results will be fairly predictable.

That leaves making purpose-built saws as a good option (which that person - Xin - does in other videos). He's got saws with rotating fixtures, but he also demonstrates making saws that are fixed.

I'd assume that the average person who uses backed saws and carpenters saw vs. the average person who would put the same number of hours in bow saws would find themselves practically identical in capability for basic joints.

I really like Xin's videos - they're a great demonstration of getting on with the work without too many fixtures. It's clear that he's done each of the things he demonstrates hundreds or thousands of times.

I think we get caught up as English-style woodworkers struggling with hand saws when we first start, and then we expect to pick up a different style of saws and use them as well as we do what we've learned with. When you get away from these forums and go out to the ground level (local groups, etc), you find a lot of people who concluded that pullsaws are the best (because they're easy to start, and no sharpening is required), and they never get beyond that.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081