Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: Frame saws
Response To:
Re: Frame saws ()

TomD
There is no reason why Japanese style teeth won't work well for cabinetmaking. The problem I had was that for decades there were three basic sets of blades sold. Turning saws, often the lire shaped saws, not really joinery. The two for joinery were: 1) sold as a Danish saw, this one came with a rip blade and was very similar to the setup that Tage Frid used in his books and videos. Highland Hardware used to sell them. May still do. 2) German bowsaws that came with a range of blades. Several ripping, several crosscut, and a turnign blade. While a little unwieldy, you had in one package a do all saw, from dovetails to logs.

What I encountered when I finally got around to trying one of the German saws was that they were then provided with relatively coarse Japanese crosscut blades. These blades are not rare, even Home Depot carries this kind of thing in toolbox saws. Gone at the time were the German rip blades and so forth, though I managed to pick them up as singles here and there. The Germans have an affinity for Japanese woodwork and tools, there is even a fancy book comparing their rural building styles as though there was a missing link carpenter that cements the two worlds. If the Germans had simply replaced their range of blades with Japanese blades of even higher quality, that would have been ideal. If they are now available, I would love to know. It has been a longtime hope that quality Japanese blades would be made for bowsaws as that approach offers a little of everything at what could be a very low price.

Tage Frid and saw:

https://www.finewoodworking.com/1977/10/01/sawing-by-hand

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081