Hand Tools

Subject:
Paean to the double square

Bill Houghton, Sebastopol, CA
For a long time, I didn't know why people would buy double squares instead of combination squares. After all, a combination square gave you a 45 degree miter square, too. But then I acquired two (4" and 6") at yard sales, and now I know.

First, the stock (handle) on a double square, at least in the 6" size, tends to be longer than that on a combo square, giving you more registration against the edge.

Second, I often find myself, in the sorts of work I do, marking off holes a set distance apart at consistent short distances from the edge, for driving screws to, say, hold a panel in place (we're not talking foine woodwork here). With a double square, I can set the beam (rule) to the distance-from-edge and use a long rule or tape measure to make tick marks at the distances along the edge, from screw to screw. With the double square, I can then strike a line at the tick mark to bring it to the edge, flip the square around, and mark the distance from the edge; and I've got crosshairs showing me where to drill the holes for screws.

Now that I own them, I wouldn't be without them.

Messages In This Thread

Paean to the double square
Agree, and a mystery
Re: Paean to the double square
Re: Paean to the double square
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081