Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: Double iron spokeshave

Steve Voigt
Hey Oskar,
Great job. That looks fantastic!
I have seen pictures of large wooden cooper's shaves with double irons, but I think most of those were user made--I don't think they were produced commercially. I think the main reason is that a bevel down wooden shave needs to have a fairly large sole (from front to back), and adding a cap iron contributes to the length. Then there is also the issue of the shave splitting apart, which apparently is common on Japanese shaves.
Even though I'm a huge fan of the double iron, when it comes to bevel down shaves, I've gone the steep angle, single iron route--my current shave is bedded at 57.5°. That makes it possible to keep the sole length fairly short.
However, I definitely don't think you're barking up the wrong tree. A 40° bevel down shave is a pretty common tool in Japanese woodworking, and adding a cap iron will only make it a more versatile tool. And you were very wise to use Elm--the interlocked grain should help reduce the tendency of the wedge to split the tool apart.
I would love to see some more pictures, and some measurements, if you're willing.
Again, great job!

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081