Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: Pegging tenons
Response To:
Re: Pegging tenons ()

Derek Cohen (in Perth, Australia)
Warren, I agree with you that the situation you envisage would cause removal of material when sawing. I was most distressed when the couple of frames began to move, as you can imagine. I waited until the joint had opened up enough - and stopped opening (as that told me how much to remove from the panel). The gap was large enough to slide in a Japanese saw blade. No damage done. However other situations in which a Domino has created a join might not be so "kind" to be convenient. One of the issues I see with a domino is that they have set depths, which may not always suit the workpiece. Also, one can place them sequentially (to make them longer) and in parallel (to make them thicker), but there are restrictions in the form of set dimensions to work with (the size of each domino).

Really, the Domino is not more than a loose tenon, which has been around a long time. A loose tenon made with a router appears to be more versatile, and approximates a true tenon in that you can make any shape and size you wish. The perceived advantage of a Domino is that the joint requires minimal preparation (ala a biscuit joint). There is a place for this joinery, but not (in my opinion) when you are planning for repairs into the future.

Regards from Perth

Derek

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081