Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: Pegging tenons
Response To:
Pegging tenons ()

Sgian Dubh
Josko, generally I'd say mechanical locking of an M&T has more importance in two main circumstances.

1. Where adhesive effectiveness could be either compromised or ineffective with many adhesives. Examples of this can be found in joinery destined for external use, e.g., gates, or joinery of wet wood, e.g., traditional timber framed buildings. In the first case the adhesive bond can break down rapidly because of large movement in the joinery and the effects of weather on the joints. In the second case most adhesives are designed for use with dry wood, with dry being defined as wood at 20% moisture content (MC) or less. Adhesives don't work on wet wood, with one exception I can think of, that being polyurethane types.

2. It may be that there is no other way to pull the joint up tight, so draw-boring of the M&T could be used instead of cramping. This might apply where long enough or big enough cramps aren't available for some reason.

For most furniture applications made of dry wood, and destined for internal use in habitable buildings the requirement for pegging or draw-boring M&Ts is much diminished, but you might apply a belt and braces principle, i.e., glue and peg the joint. One example of internal joinery frequently requiring draw-boring is holding clamped ends (aka breadboards) tight to the main field of the panel at the extremities of the clamp's length.

I can't see a good reason to peg a Domino - they're generally too small for one, and they're also designed to take advantage of the qualities of modern adhesives, so I can't really see the point of considering the technique, although somebody else might. Slainte.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081