Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: Skew Infill Shooting Plane - Finished - Almost

david weaver
Let me preface this with the fact (that sometimes isn't obvious) that this is my opinion. Rather than my opinion that this is fact.

Certainly, you can buy whatever you like - anyone can. I was just thinking "I have no idea why someone would want an apple watch", but they'll sell many. I'd long for a hand-wound watch that just tells me the time of day and doesn't have such a temporal junky feel. The DSM probably has something to explain why that is - plenty of people aren't wired like that, I just am.

So, here's my opinion - a practicality opinion (for the average hand tool or partial hand tool woodworker), and all of it goes out the window when you have a group of people who can buy a Rolex Daytona at full retail as a shop watch because they don't want to get a scratch on their Langematik (or a level of those folks, there's something for everyone - perhaps to some, a Langematik is a production watch that they could pass on).

The difference between the plane and the board is fairly simple: Both (specialty plane and specialty board) are an indulgence, but the plane is relatively permanent. It's a $350 item (the veritas, top of market), with significant residual value. It won't appreciate like the S&P 500, but a decade down the road, nominal value will probably remain without issue.

* The plane is the difficult part to make.
* the plane is the part that remains constant whether or not you're shooting something large or small, miter or flat, picture frame piece, cabinet rail or music box fixture.
* The plane is the part that doesn't take damage if you mis-use it, tipping or whatever (the shooting board does). I realize that if you spend more on the shooting board than the plane, you can now get sacrificial sides.

I didn't make the plane in this video because I thought I needed to - I did it because I wanted to. The cheapest "production" shoot board costs about as much as the materials for this plane. I didn't buy the LV shoot plane because I needed to, either, but I sure do like it. Unfortunately, I think I may have obsoleted it in my shop - or is that fortunately? I think I've matched the iron, too - at least in medium hard woods, but I can actually test that (it would be interesting).

So the board itself falls into the category of beginners traps:
* expensive dovetail markers
* expensive marking knives
* expensive infilled squares
* sawing guides
* expensive infill planes (sorry to the current makers, I really admire the type and I think highly of every single current maker, but they are in indulgence with a capital I)

I haven't touched upon real pattern makers, model makers, frame makers and miniature box makers. But exceedingly few hobbyists with limited dollars are doing those things for production, and the makers of those things that I knew generally used specialty or cheap devices.

There are so many other things in woodworking that are difficult to avoid spending a lot of money on (carving tools, good lumber, for some...just a good shop space) that I can't see any sensible reason to spend a lot of money on a tool that should be made of shop scrap.

And even the Langematik crowd, I think if they want to woodwork, they'd be more satisified to hone their skills making their chute board (even if they make the mistake of taking up woodworking by learning from a machinist as I did) than they would buying one - the gratification will be delayed, but exponentially greater in the end.

All that said, if someone has progressed to the point that they're buying a shooting plane, anyway, the LV is the one.

(stanley's 51 is a bad example, because it didn't come close to parity in sales with the target market, and it's clearly aimed at model makers and pattern makers more than cabinetmakers, regardless of what their ad copy said).

Messages In This Thread

Skew Infill Shooting Plane - Finished - Almost
as far as the shooting board...
Forrest blades
Re: Forrest blades
Re: Forgot...
I thought it would be interesting
Re: Testing just went out the door
Re: Testing just went out the door *PIC*
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081