Hand Tools

Subject:
Woodworking Triple Point
Response To:
Re: MWTCA in Medina ()

CJ in MPLS
On the ride to work this morning I was thinking about the trade off between money, time, and expertise that occurs every time we pick up a new project. For example, if I have the money, I can buy a tool that will do the thing itself quickly and with good results. Alternatively, I can use my hard earned expertise to carry out the task in the known and efficient manner (expertise always seems to be the hardest coin to come by). Finally, I can peck away at the task in an inefficient manner until I get a result that is acceptable, if not satisfactory.

For the kids just starting out, you get a more or less straight line on the time axis. There isn't any expertise or money available. With some coaching one can broaden this along the expertise axis and with a few lucky moments at a garage sale or an auction, one get some relief along the money axis. Over time, the point becomes a region and you're cooking with gas.

One of the reasons I like the 'maker' movement is not because someone is finally meeting the long felt but unmet need for wooden six pack holders (who ever needed one of those things?), but because the makers are providing some of the coaching that is needed in a format that doesn't involve some of the 'what are you going to use that for' type of gate keeping the old salts can impose. I think this was one of Roy Underhill's strengths. He provided the information one needed, no questions asked. Also, he bleeds all over his projects which is pretty funny.

A good example of someone that can really get people into a craft is the fellow that runs the YouTube channel "This Old Tony". Not only is his stuff informative and well made, but he is genuinely funny. I've learned a quite a bit watching his content, including that metal working is a rabbit hole of epic proportions that I need to avoid. It looks like a lot of fun.

For my part, I guess I'll grit my teeth and laud the younger folks who keep making stuff out of pallets and hope that they go far enough that the triple point becomes more of a region. Once they start wondering why the home depot pine bookshelf with all in one stain/finish doesn't look like the stuff at the furniture store, they'll be hooked.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081