Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: Tell me where I'm wrong..(skew shooting infill *PIC*

david weaver
The shell for starters:

about 14 1/2 inches long, 2 7/8" wide (external) - I stepped up the iron width to somewhere between 2 3/8 and 2 7/16".

Due to a measuring error, the sides will be about 2.7" all or a hundredth or two less (oops). I had intended for the thing to be closer to square but mis-marked the baseline for the tails by a sixteenth.

I bought one of those portable metal bandsaws from HF, and it works surprisingly well, but the blade only made it a little more than halfway through this shell (and I have no spares), so back to the hacksaw. I like the hand work enough that I don't know if I have a preference either way, but the cheap bandsaw saves some time. If you've seen one of those and you're wondering how you can use it, if you have a decent machinist vise with soft jaws, you just clamp the thing into the vise and put a quick release clamp on the trigger to keep it going. they have a tiny stamped table.

This picture is before filing secondary angles in the pins and tails. I've got a couple of gaps bigger than I'd like, but that always seems to happen. We'll see if it all comes out in the wash peining - hopefully, I can get them all closed.

The mouth is located (marked from the inside) about 1/3rd of the way from the front. I'd like to make it more interesting than a brick, but I think that's probably the most sensible given that it'll be a little used plane. I'd like to round the infill that goes in it, at least, we'll see. That might interfere with a track, and for simplicity, it may be easier to just give in and make it a brick. The skew should at least make it look a little bit more interesting.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081