Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: Cutting edge skew is all that matters

david weaver
I figured out an easy way to think of it. I only care about the ability to get 10 degrees of clearance on a 30 degree bevel, and while I don't mind breaking out textbooks, I'd rather size this stuff up by spatial understanding and layout - there's less risk there.

Each slice of the iron is indifferent about skew (like riemann sum type slice approaching zero for its thickness), where the slice considered is from the iron on a rotated bed with the axis of rotation along the center of the iron, and not vertically like rotating a frog. The slice travels along the length of the plane and not perpendicular to the edge in this case. My plane bed is 40 degrees front to back (or will be). Each slice has the same geometry as a plane with no skew, and so too will be the entire iron. However, measuring the angle perpendicular to the cutting edge instead of along the length of the plane will result in something greater than 40 degrees.

That's exactly what I'm looking for.

Everything in a plane like this is setting up an initial mark (in this case, on the sole) and then fitting everything to the mark progressively.

Just by sight, more or less, I've changed the skew to 20 degrees. 15 didn't look like enough.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081