Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: LV skew shooter
Response To:
LV skew shooter ()

Derek Cohen (in Perth, Australia)
Why 42 degrees, David? That suggests a compromise to achieve clearance. But it is not necessary, and in fact the higher bed will affect the edge life.

My recommendation is either 38 degrees, if you are feeling in a radical mood, or 40 degrees, if more conservative. I mentioned earlier that the strike block plane I built is 38 degrees. This is a single bevel plane - built expressely for end grain. However my Veritas Custom #7 jointer has a 40 degree bed, and this plane is fantastic both with end grain, because it has a low cutting angle, and face grain, because it is set up with a chipbreaker. I wonder how a 38 degree bed would go with a chipbreaker?!

A bed with 38 degrees will leave 8 degrees of clearance on a 30 degree bevel. That is approaching as low as it gets. However, it is not as if you are going to be using this plane to cover miles and miles of shavings as you expect from a bench plane. I want a shooting plane that can be used on sides as well as edges, and this is the weaker area of a single iron BU plane (when planing wood that is interlocked).

42 degrees is going to compromise both ease of shooting end grain as well as edge life. I think that you will end up disappointed. Yes, I know that higher bedded planes, such as a #5 1/2 or #7, may be used to shoot end grain - I mentioned before that I used to use a 60 degree bed HNT Gordon Trying Plane. However the surface quality off the higher beds is not as good as the low cutting angle plane, and the edge life will be poorer, as I have been emphasising.

I am pretty certain that what you build will end up working well, regardless. What you are striving for is something excellent, something different ... otherwise why go to the trouble?

Regards from Perth

Derek

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081