Hand Tools

Subject:
LV skew shooter

david weaver
I just ordered the LV skew shooter. That'll give me a decent target to aim for (no shooting pun implied!) in terms of performance.

I'm sure that if I come up with something I prefer (most likely preference being due to "i made it" bias), then it won't cost much to have rented it temporarily.

If I come up with a dog, I'll sell it on ebay disclosing that it's a handsome plane that doesn't perform as well as LV's (it may sound like I'm kidding, but I've found that saying something like that doesn't impede some buyers).

I think I've settled on a plane about 15 inches long with a (yet to be decided) wide blade and without absurd metal thickness - 1/4th on the sides and 3/16ths on the bottom.

I think I'll do bevel down 42 degrees with a 15 degree skew to experiment, and put the mouth around the same location that it would be on a 14 inch panel plane (in distance from the front) with a stub handle similar to the wooden plane that I made tapped into the metal and wood. I found the wood plane handle a bit too tall and see why the original that I copied has a shorter one.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081