Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: Tell me where I'm wrong..(skew shooting infill

david weaver
Thanks, Derek. I'm still curious as to whether or not the bed type itself may be responsible for some of the difference in edge longevity, but I'm not going to build two planes to experiment. I think I'll build bevel up just for the challenge.

Yes on the mass. My wooden plane is extraordinarily heavy. The first end grain shaving that I measured was something like 5 thousandths, and I was shocked. Because of it's two-bed design, I can't really go shallower on the angle on it, and want to go skew on the next one, anyway, so as not to have to give it a horseplay type thump to get it started on a cut like that.

But, infill first, and two birds with one stone - or maybe three (a wedged infill with a strap, skew and bevel up). It will have to be something more like 20 degrees bedded (for practicality hand filing and scraping the metal bits around the mouth) and I would suppose total weight will end up being in the 8 to 10 pound category. Not because I want a ten pound plane, but in the size that I'm going to make, that's just what it will be.

(I could chicken out at the last second on any of this and make it bevel down, though - it wouldn't be a deal breaker, and layout issues with such a long iron protruding from an infill wouldn't need working around - as in, the plane could be taller in side/cheek height...

....Now I'm starting to revise to thinking 40 degree skew bevel down might be the way to go, or perhaps 42 - I'll have to make a mock up, as it will change bevel clearance to turn it askew).

A smart labor-saving idea would just be to buy LV's skew plane, I doubt I can make one that performs better than that one, but sometimes I'm just looking for weird instead. Or, I could do both.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081