Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: Managing it..
Response To:
Re: Managing it.. ()

david weaver
It's hard to tell how nagura were used historically, but they're not similar to the rectangular sticks that come with a king stone, and I don't get the sense that they were ever actually used to flatten stones.

I think stones were rubbed together (in threes) if they needed flattening, and the nagura has always been a method to generate a slurry and speed cutting on slow or too-fine stones. Or, in the case of a substandard (super hard) stone, provide an external abrasive source since the stone isn't releasing any.

Nagura use is a lot more methodological in preparing a razor (where a slow base stone is desirable and you can control the grit progression using graded natural nagura - which are not remotely similar to the rectangular bars!).

I can't think of any nagura that I've handled that would actually be effective at keeping a stone flat, and many aren't effective at freshening the surface of a stone - they're intentionally softer than the base stone. Hard or scratchy versions are discarded as ungraded junk (or in my case, I found one at rockler 10 years ago for ten bucks - definitely a natural mikawa nagura - and definitely set aside or thrown out by any of the well known graders like asano).

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081