Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: A lands question for Rob Lee.....

Patrick Chase
A few comments:

You're probably in the wrong place if you want feedback directly from Rob. If you do a search for "rob lee woodworking forum" then the first couple results should give a strong hint.

Side bevel detuning/dull-back is very much a matter of subjective preference, and it's a lot easier to detune a sharp edge than to go the other direction. I think that LV is doing the right thing by shipping their chisels sharp the entire length and allowing people to adjust to taste. FWIW it takes me a few seconds using a patch of emery cloth and my thumb as backing (a habit from when i adjusted ski tip/tail engagement after tuning). It's thick enough to hold up to the edge, but flexible enough that you can feel what you're doing to the edge through the cloth.

For that matter the overall side bevel geometries on western chisels are highly adjustable. I have Narex and Stanley chisels with sidewalls every bit as fine as my Veritas ones, the difference being that I shaped them myself. I use a belt grinder to "sneak up" on the profile, and then special hard-metal-specific files to fine-tune (Valtitan/Corinox steel files and/or solid Tungsten-Carbide milled files for harder chisels). If you don't happen to have those you can obviously fine-tune on sandpaper or a stone, but it's slower going.

I also (as of fairly recently) have the Koyamaichis, and those are much more difficult to customize. You can still soften or "break" the edge as described above, but going beyond that and reshaping it is a fraught process for several reasons: First, the bottom ("bit") part of the iron is extremely brittle and prone to chipping in general. The forging process improves "lengthwise" toughness, which is why they don't chip as much as you might expect in use, but does very little for the crosswise axis that matters when shaping side bevels. As Derek discovered the hard way a while back, belt grinders are a bit of a gamble in that situation.

Second, the softer steel spine of the chisel isn't oriented very well to provide support to the side edges as it dies to the cutting edge. Third, at Rc65-66 the hardened bit is out of the usable range of even high-end steel files. You pretty much need to use a solid carbide file or a diamond file to work it, and if you're determined to do so that's probably the safest approach.

Finally note that you don't need a very steep side bevel angle for DT clearance. Instead of extending the existing side bevels of my skew chisels all the way to the edge, I created a 1:6 "lower-bevel" between the edge and the bottom of the existing bevel i in the first inch of the chisel (which is then tapered back into the existing bevel for another inch or two for aesthetics). It's less work than reshaping the existing bevel, and it gets the job done just as well.

A skew chisel with knife-thin side edges is a wonderful thing for blind DTs, by the way.

Messages In This Thread

A lands question for Rob Lee.....
Re: Plus 1 for Skew Chisels
Sounds better than it is!! (the offer).
Separate comment...
Fishtail not skew
Re: Fishtail not skew
Seaton chisels
Re: Seaton chisels
:) *NM*
Re: Seaton chisels *LINK*
Re: Seaton tool chest book
Re: Seaton tool chest book *PIC*
Re: necessary vs. desirable
Re: necessary vs. desirable *PIC*
Besides grinding...
Re: Besides grinding...
Re: Besides grinding...
You had me go check...
Ah ..ha
Re: Ah ..ha
Those are VERY nice dovetails, Richard :) *NM*
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081