Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: Vice advice
Response To:
Vice advice ()

AZ in Colorado Springs
Four (!) years ago I built a Roubo-style bench, 7' long & 26" wide. Followed the plan in the first edition of Schwarz's work bench book. I tailored the dimensions to fit in my shop, as discussed in another reply. My only vise is a leg vise. I absolutely love the simplicity of this. You don't need the three dimensional work holding all the time, but when you do, there it is. I have a 36" squeeze clamp which I use to secure the far end of panels against the top when I need to (the 'far end' being the end opposite the leg vise). With a wooden planing stop, a sliding deadman, and a couple of holdfasts, I'm in business.

I have the parts to build a shoulder vise, but haven't installed it because I think it'd be in the way of moving around, also discussed previously. Maybe someday. (The bench is made of fir. When I glued up the top -- "strips" about 2" wide -- about three strips are drilled to allow for 5/16" threaded rod and there are two t-nuts buried in there, so I can add the shoulder vise later, if and when space permits.)

I think you recognize this, but the bench you have is an important consideration when selecting the vise. I had a lighter weight, more portable bench that worked well for nearly 30 years, but after I retired from the Air Force and could build a better workshop, I read up on benches and vises to see what would serve me better.

Good luck.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081